Ariana has been a massage therapist since 1996, and has been treating soft tissue injuries and dysfunction in a clinical setting since 2000. Beyond massage school, she has accumulated over 1600 hours of manual therapy focused classroom training, and many years increasing her knowledge and skills in the treatment room. If she cannot figure out what is wrong with a patient, you will probably find her with her nose in a book, calling her network of medical friends, or sending out inquiries to her focus groups on the internet to see if she can find a solution. She likes to keep her patient load small so that she has time to research and take good care of each person she treats. She has a great sense of humor, and her treatment style is relaxed, calming, and friendly. Take a look at what she has been up to:
• She is Certified by the Medical Massage National Certification Board (MMNCB) as a Nationally Certified Medical Massage Therapist (NCMMT).
• She specializes in Trigger Point Therapy, Facilitated Stretching, and Myofascial Release Therapy for pain management and reduction. She also specializes in increasing range-of-motion and decreasing pain using whatever manual therapy techniques are called for.
• She is certified by CARE (The Center for Aromatherapy Research and Education) as a Raindrop Therapist. Raindrop is an invigorating massage and reflexology treatment using therapeutic grade essential oils applied neat (undiluted) to the feet and along the spine. It will leave you feeling awake and energized, and perhaps a little taller.
• She developed and produces the "Magic Goo" we sell and use in the clinic. This is an all-natural ingredient salve which contains herbs, olive and jojoba oil, beeswax, and essential oils. This is an amazing product, and we all use it at home and at the clinic. And since we don't have FDA approval, we can't tell you all of the ways this stuff is fantastic, but we can say it's really fabulous, and that we suggest you might try it, for example, on your next sunburn. For more information about this, please see the answer to "what are your stewardship practices" on the faq page.
• She is a Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, and is certified in NLP as well. She received her certification from APositiva in Portland in 2002. In her practice, Ariana uses EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique, for pain management as well as phobia and anxiety release. She also offers hypnotherapy sessions.
• She is the mother of two children. Much of her community volunteer time is spent making Portland Public Schools better places for Portland's children to be.
• She has studied various forms of energy work, and has been a Reiki Master since 1995. She offers Reiki instruction on a one-on-one basis, and teaches Reiki I classes at Fertile Ground Center.
• She serves the LMT and greater bodywork community as a source of information on insurance industry standards and how to get paid for the amazing work that they do. It is one of her goals to raise the bar for massage therapists nationwide, and inspire them to increase their knowledge and improve their patient rehab successes.
• She served as the PR Representative of the Oregon Chapter of the United States Medical Massage Association (no longer in existence) in 2004. She designed and moderated the website for the chapter for two years.
• She has taught anatomy, physiology and kinesology as part of a yoga teacher training course. She incorporates yoga into her movement therapies. She donated her time to build the original website (they have a new one now) for the Lotus Seed School, where she received her Yoga Teacher Training Certification. The Lotus Seed is a non-profit organization offering low cost and sliding scale yoga classes, in the hope of bringing yoga classes to underserved populations in the Portland area.
For your appointment with Ariana:
Please wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing, preferably with a sports bra and shorts underneath. Or you may wear a t-shirt and leggings for some of the myofascial release work. We may check your posture, or have you on and off the table several times during the session, or turning over quite a bit. Wear comfortable shoes you have worn for a while. I want to check them to see what your wear patterns are.
Unless we are doing a relaxation massage or a Raindrop Therapy treatment, you will rarely be fully undressed and draped on the table. Your comfort is the top priority, so if you need special accomodations, please ask.